News & Updates from the Unleashing Ideas Network
Mark Marich (GEW global)
Jul 05, 2011
The past several weeks have been busy for a number of GEW partners and others throughout the world:
- Endeavor alum & GEW pioneer David Auerbach recently graduated from MIT's Sloane School of Business, where he won the prestigious MIT100K Business Plan Competition for his social enterprise Sanergy. Sanergy aims to tackle the sanitation crisis in Kenya by building low-cost toilets.
- Ireland readies for its first run at Global Entrepreneurship Week thanks to Think Ireland, Inc.
- Cleantech Open's National Investor Conference is slated for next week in San Jose featuring a keynote presentation from Geoffrey Moore, author and venture partner at Mohr Davidow Ventures
- Startup Weekend Rio organizer on list of "10 Women to Watch" in the Latin America startup scene
- Youth Business International CEO Andrew Devenport talks about the challenges facing entrepreneurs that want to start companies in Europe on Bloomberg Television's "Last Word."
- GEW/Macedonia host YES Foundation is partnering with the Youth Educational Forum to hold a nationwide debate on the topic of internet entrepreneurship featuring 25 teams from 14 cities
- GEW/Poland ambassador launches competition to help change perception of entrepreneurs in Krakow
- Junior Achievement / Young Enterprise won the National Enterprise Support Award in Hungary and was nominated for the 2011 European Enterprise Support Award
- Christopher McCann talks to Chris McCann... and begins curating Startup Digest in Glasgow, Scotland
- Endeavor invited 23 high-impact entrepreneurs representing 13 companies from Argentina, Brazil, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Mexico, Turkey and Uruguay to join the organization at its 39th International Selection Panel, held recently in London, England.
- Las Vegas warms up for GEW 2011 with Startup Weekend event in June featuring Zappos.com CEO Tony Hsieh
- Fundacion Emprender launched GEW/Ecuador 2011 with the country's first-ever National Convention of Global Entrepreneurship Week Partners in Quito.
- 2010 winners of Movers & Changers recall how they were a few seconds away from missing out on $25,000 in the annual NYSE / mtvU competition that also sends the winners to New York City to ring the bell of the New York Stock Exchange during GEW
- GEW president Jonathan Ortmans scheduled for panel session at the Global Youth Economic Opportunities Conference organized by Making Cents International in Washington, DC
- NFTE alum and Chicago entrepreneur Zoe Damacela is one of 5 finalists to be on the cover of the October issue of Seventeen magazine.